Tuesday 16 November 2010

Nettle Sourdough


Makes 1 loaf

Another science experiment from me this week. I’ve been gripped by the idea of making a nettle loaf since my Auntie Sue came across a recipe in one of her ancient Swedish cook books. However, I wanted more than to just add them to the loaf mix: I wanted to see if I could cultivate a leaven using nettles as my source of natural yeast. Remembering sucking the sweet nectar out of the white flowers as a child, and finding them still rampant in the November hedgerows, I used three heads of flowering nettles in place of raisins in the fermentation process. It sounds slightly gimmicky, but has actually turned out to be a very healthy sourdough.

Nettles are free, nutritious, and readily available. This was my first edible encounter with them and I have to say I’m a convert. I found the best way to pick them was with a pair of kitchen scissors and tongs at the ready. For this loaf a lunch-box size Tupperware full should be enough. After picking, blanch in boiling water for no more than a minute, then immerse straight into iced water. Drain, pull the leaves from the stem (they should come away very easily), and roughly chop. Although it sounds laborious, the whole process from picking to chopping only took 20 minutes or so. Granted, it’s not the best time of year for nettles at the moment (spring is perfect when they are young and lush), but I couldn’t wait. Try and locate the more vibrant, flatter ones as opposed to the duller, woodier leaves.

The nettles give the loaf a pleasing irony depth, which compliments the sour tang of the crust. I have used only white wheat flour here to act as a more neutral backdrop to the plant, but having tasted the loaf, I think a little rye would work well too. It proved extremely popular with our customers, so no doubt I will working regular nettling expeditions into my routine from now on.

The Leaven
As follows are the Dan Lepard instructions from ‘The Handmade Loaf’, but using nettles instead of raisins. Of course you can also make the loaf with whatever leaven you have on the go.

Day 1:
50g room temperature water
2 big tsp rye flour
2 big tsp strong white flour
2 big tsp natural yogurt
3 heads of nettles with flowers

Combine in a kilner jar and leave at room temperature for 24 hours.

Day 2:
50g room temperature water
2 big tsp rye flour
2 big tsp strong white flour

Add the above ingredients to the jar, water first, and thoroughly combine. Leave at room temperature for 24 hours.

Day 3:
100g room temperature water
 4 big tsp rye flour
4 big tsp strong white flour

Add the above ingredients to the jar, water first, and thoroughly combine. Leave at room temperature for 24 hours.

Day 4:
100g room temperature water
125g strong white flour

Discard ¾ of the contents of the jar. Stir in the water. Strain the mixture to remove the nettles. Add the flour and place back in a clean kilner jar for 24 hours.

Day 5:
100g room temperature water
125g strong white flour

Discard ¾ of the contents of the jar. Stir in the water and then add the flour. Leave for 24 hours more, then your leaven is finally ready to use.

The Loaf

500 strong white flour
1 ½ tsp sea salt
60g nettles, blanched and chopped
150g nettle wheat leaven
250 ml water, room temperature

In a large bowl combine the flour and salt. In another whisk together the leaven and water, then stir in the nettles. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry and leave for 10 minutes. Turn out onto an oiled surface and knead for 10 seconds, ending with the dough in a ball. Cover with the upturned bowl and leave for 10 minutes. Repeat the 10 minute kneads thrice more, then knead again after 30 minutes and after an hour or two. Leave for another hour before kneading one last time, and shaping the dough into a ball. Dust a tea towel liberally with flour, and use it to line a large Pyrex bowl. Place the dough in, seam side up, cover and leave for between 5 and 8 hours in a cool place. After this time, dust a baking tray with semolina, and upturn the bowl onto it. Peel the tea towel carefully away from the dough, and bake the loaf for 40 minutes at 200˚c. Leave to cool before slicing. This loaf should keep well for up to 5 days.


1 comment:

  1. Just read this Katie! Sounds very healthy. But rather a lot of time needed from start to finish. But then, you are not one to give up easily. Still waiting for a recipe with old socks as a starter. I am sure you could do it!
    I now have (this evening) a lovely new sour starter made from rye and grated apples. It has taken 5 days, but with no trouble involved. Just a stir once a day until yesterday, when I added more flour and water. I have a problem with finding a warm enough place for the process here. I decided to chuck out my old sour, though I do have some of "it" dried. I think you have one more new bread too. Something to look forward to reading.
    Auntie Sue

    ReplyDelete